All our employees are personally responsible for keeping your personal information confidential. We provide training to all employees to remind them about their obligations.
It’s likely that we’ll need to update this Privacy Notice from time to time. We’ll notify you of any significant changes, but you’re welcome to come back and check it whenever you wish.
We hope the following sections will answer any questions you have but if not, please do get in touch with us.
When do we collect your personal data?
- When you create an account with us and when you visit our website and use your account.
- When you buy products and services through our website, over the phone or by mail order, or redeem gift vouchers.
- When you engage with us on social media.
- When you contact us by any means with queries, complaints etc.
- When you enter prize draws or competitions.
- When you choose to complete any surveys we send you.
- When you comment on or review our products and services.
- When you fill in any forms. For example, VAT relief forms, HMRC may collect your personal data.
- We collect data from publicly-available sources (such as Land Registry) where the information is made public as a matter of law.
What sort of data do we collect?
- If you have an account with us: your name, billing/delivery address, orders and receipts, email and telephone number.
- Details of interactions you have had with us. For example, we collect notes from out conversations with you, details of any complaints or comments you make, details of purchases made, items viewed or added to your basket, wish list choices, gift voucher redemptions, pages you visit and how and when you contact us.
- Personal details which help us to recommend items of interest. For example, you might tell us the nature of your disability, which we’ll use to guide our suggested items.
We’ll only ask for and use your personal data collected to recommend items of interest and enhance your shopping experience with us. Of course, it’s always your choice whether you share such details with us.
- Comments and product reviews you have made.
- Your social media username, if you interact with us through those channels, to help us respond to your comments, questions or feedback.
How and why we use your personal data?
In order to give you the best possible customer experience, having the richest picture we can of who you are by combining the data we have about you significantly helps.
We then use this to offer you promotions, products and services that are most likely to interest you.
The data privacy law allows this as part of our legitimate interest in understanding our customers and providing the highest levels of service.
Of course, if you wish to change how we use your data, you’ll find details in the ‘What are my rights?’ section below.
Remember, if you choose not to share your personal data with us, or refuse certain contact permissions, we might not be able to provide some services you’ve asked for.
Here’s how we’ll use your personal data and why:
- To process any orders that you make. If we don’t collect your personal data during checkout, we won’t be able to process your order and comply with our legal obligations. For example, your details may need to be passed to a third party like Royal Mail who will deliver the product or service that you ordered.
- To respond to your queries, refund requests and complaints. Handling the information you sent enables us to respond.
- To protect our business and your account from fraud and other illegal activities. This includes using your personal data to maintain, update and safeguard your account.
- To process payments and also prevent fraudulent transactions. We do this on the basis of our legitimate business interests. This also helps to protect our customers from fraud.
- With your consent, we will use your personal data, preferences and details of your transactions to keep you informed by email, web, post, telephone about relevant products and services including tailored special offers, discounts, promotions, events, competitions and so on. We’ll do this on the basis of our legitimate business interest. Of course, you are free to opt out of hearing from us by any of these channels at any time.
- To send you communications required by law or which are necessary to inform you about our changes to the services we provide you. For example, updates to this Privacy Notice and legally required information relating to your orders. These service messages will not include any promotional content and do not require prior consent when sent by email or text message. If we do not use your personal data for these purposes, we would be unable to comply with our legal obligations.
- To display content that is most interesting to you on our website, we’ll use data we hold about your favourite brands or products and so on. We do so on the basis of your consent to receive notifications and/or for our website to place cookies or similar technology on your device. For example, offer you recommendations based on your purchase history and any other data you’ve shared with us.
- To administer any of our prize draws or competitions you enter. This is based on your consent given at the time of entering.
- To comply with our contractual or legal obligations to share data with law enforcement and HMRC for example details on VAT exemption.
- To send you survey and feedback requests to help improve our services. These messages will not include any promotional content and do not require prior consent when sent. We have a legitimate interest to do so as this helps make our products or services more relevant to you. Of course, you are free to opt out of receiving these requests from us at any time by updating your preferences in your online account.
How we protect your personal data?
We know how much data security matters to all our customers. With this in mind we will treat your data with the utmost care and take all appropriate steps to protect it.
We secure access to all transactional areas of our websites using ‘https’ technology. You will be able to see this with the padlock icon which appears in the URL bar when browsing our website.
Access to your personal data is password-protected, and sensitive data such as payment card information is never saved.
We regularly monitor our system for possible vulnerabilities and attacks.
How long will we keep your personal data?
Personal data collected or used for processing, will only be kept for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected.
When the retention period ends, your data will either be deleted completely or anonymised, for example by aggregation with other data so that it can be used in a non-identifiable way for statistical analysis and business planning.
In the case of VAT exempt orders, when you place an order, we are required to keep the personal data you give us for seven years so we can comply with our legal and contractual obligations with HMRC.
Who do we share your personal data with?
We will only share your personal data with trusted third parties in order to fulfil orders, for example Royal Mail to deliver your order.
We apply the following policy to those organisations to keep your data safe and protect your privacy:
- We only provide information they need to perform their specific services.
- They may only use your data for the exact purposes we specify in our contract with them.
- We work closely with them to ensure that your privacy is respected and protected at all times.
- If we stop using their services, any of your data held by them will either be deleted or rendered anonymous.
What are your rights over personal data?
You have the right to request:
- Access to the personal data we hold about you, free of charge in most cases.
- The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete.
- The deletion of the data we hold about you, in specific circumstances; for example, when you withdraw consent or object, and we have no legitimate overriding interest, or once the purpose for which we hold the data has come to an end (such as the end of a warranty).
- A computer file in a common format (CSV or similar) containing the personal data that you have previously provided to us, and the right to have your information transferred to another entity where this is technically possible.
- That we stop processing your personal data, in specific circumstances; for example, when you have withdrawn consent, or object for reasons related to your individual circumstances.
- That we stop using your personal data for direct marketing (either through specific channels, or all channels).
- That we stop any consent-based processing of your personal data after you withdraw that consent.
- You can contact us to request to exercise these rights at any time.
- If we choose not to action your request, we will explain the reasons for our refusal.
Your right to withdraw consent
Whenever you have given us your consent to use your personal data, you have the right to change your mind at any time and withdraw that consent.
Where we rely on our legitimate interest
In cases where we are processing your personal data on the basis of our legitimate interest, you can ask us to stop for reasons connected to your individual situation. We must then do so unless we believe we have a legitimate overriding reason to continue processing your personal data, such as administration of VAT exemption.
You have the right to stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing activity through all channels, or selected channels. We must always comply with your request.
Checking your identity
To protect the confidentiality of your information, we will ask you to verify your identity before proceeding with any request you make under this Privacy Notice.
If you have authorised a third party to submit a request on your behalf, we will ask them to prove they have your permission to act.
How can you stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing?
There are several ways you can stop direct marketing communications from us:
- Click the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email communication that we send you. We will then stop any further emails from that particular division.
- Write to: Customer Services, The Able Label, Iden Farm Cottages, Heath Road, Boughton Monchelsea, Maidstone, Kent, ME17 4JE.
Kindly note that for a short period after changing your preferences, you may continue to receive communications while our systems are fully updated.
We hope this Privacy Notice has proved helpful in setting out the way we handle your personal data and your rights to control it.
Should you have any further questions that haven’t been covered, please contact our Data Protection Officer who will be pleased to help you:
- Email us at email@example.com
- Or write to us at Data Protection Officer, The Able Label, Iden Farm Cottages, Heath Road, Boughton Monchelsea, Maidstone, Kent, ME17 4JE